The AirPlay feature is available on Roku. With this feature enabled, you can screen mirror your iOS devices like iPhones and iPad to Roku. But recently, a lot of Roku users are experiencing the AirPlay not working issue on Roku. With this issue in place, you won’t be able to mirror the AirPlay-supported app or your iOS device to Roku. But you can fix the issue easily with basic troubleshooting methods.
Why is the AirPlay Not Working on Roku
The following are the reasons why AirPlay is not working on Roku:
- Your Roku device may not be incompatible with Airplay.
- Outdated Roku device or iOS device.
- The AirPlay feature on your Roku may be disabled.
- Your Roku and iOS device may not be in range.
Troubleshooting AirPlay Not Working Issue on Roku
The following are the troubleshooting methods that will help you in fixing the AirPlay not working issue on Roku.
Fix 1: Check the Compatibility of your Roku Device
The AirPlay feature is not available on all Roku device models. The AirPlay-supported Roku models are listed below:
- Roku Premiere
- Roku Express 4K
- Roku Streambar
- Roku Streaming Stick 4K
- Roku TV
In case you do not have these supported models, you can use third-party apps like Streamer to mirror your iOS devices to Roku.
Fix 2: Check your OS Version and Update Roku
The AirPlay feature is supported on Roku OS version 9.4 or higher. In case your Roku is running on Roku OS version below 9.4, the AirPlay feature will be available for your device. So, update your Roku device to the latest version to get the AirPlay feature.
Fix 3: Check If you Have Enabled the AirPlay Feature on Roku
The AirPlay feature on your Roku will be turned off by default. So, you need to turn on the AirPlay feature to mirror your iOS devices to Roku.
1. Press the Home button on your remote.
2. Next, select Settings from the Roku home screen.
3. Scroll down and choose the Apple AirPlay and HomeKit option.
4. Hit the Apple AirPlay and HomeKit Settings.
5. Now, go to the AirPlay option and turn it on.
Now, check if you can AirPlay your iOS devices to Roku.
Fix 4: Check the Wifi Connection
You can’t simply AirPlay to Roku by turning on the AirPlay feature. You will be required to establish the same wifi network connection between your iOS device and Roku. In case the connection is not established, it is impossible for both the iOS device and Roku to recognize each other. In other words, this is one of the primary reasons why AirPlay is not working on Roku.
Fix 5: Restart your Roku Device
There can be some bugs on your Roku device that cause the AirPlay to not work. In this scenario, you can try restarting your Roku device to fix the issue.
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
2. Select the Settings option from the home screen.
3. Scroll down and select the System option.
4. Next, choose the System Restart option.
5. Hit the Restart button, and your Roku will turn off automatically.
After some time, your Roku will turn on again. Now, check when the AirPlay is working on your Roku or not.
Fix 6: Factory Reset Roku
If all of these troubleshooting methods do not work, as a last resort, reset your Roku device to fix the issue. Before resetting your Roku device, you need to note that all the data stored on your device will be lost, including the Roku Settings.
1. From the Roku home screen, select Settings.
2. Next, choose the System option.
3. Scroll down and choose Advanced System Settings.
4. Choose the Factory Reset option and enter the PIN you see on your TV screen.
5. Now, choose the Start Factory Reset option from the pop-up window.
In case you still can’t fix the AirPlay not working issue, you need to contact Roku Support or Apple Support. Here, you can get help from professional technicians who solve these kinds of problems regularly.