Want to watch NFL, NBA, UFC, NHL, and LaLiga matches live? You should install the ESPN app from the Roku Channel Store. You can watch ESPN on Roku by logging in with a TV provider or ESPN+ subscription. The ESPN app is unsupported for old-generation Roku players like Roku LT, Roku HD, Roku 2 XD, etc. In that case, you can stream ESPN+ on Roku using Chromecast and AirPlay.
In this article, I will teach how to install and activate ESPN on Roku using a cable TV provider and ESPN+.
How to Add ESPN on Roku from the Roku Channel Store
1. Turn on Roku and go to the home page.
2. Scroll down and hit the Streaming Channels option.
3. Navigate to the Search Channels option.
4. Search for ESPN using the virtual keyboard.
5. Choose the ESPN tile from the search results.
6. Then, hit the Add Channel button from the channel info page.
Tip! With the ESPN channel, you can stream F1 matches on Roku exclusively.
How to Activate ESPN on Roku
After installing the ESPN app, you must link your subscription to watch the content. Follow any of these methods to activate your account on your Roku device.
Activate ESPN Using a Cable TV Provider
1. Open the ESPN app and open Settings.
2. Choose Account Information → Provider Account (or) TV Provider.
3. Select the Activate Live TV button and note the Activation Code.
4. Run a web browser on your PC and visit the ESPN activation webpage (espn.com/activate).
5. Enter the Activation code and hit the Continue button.
6. On the next screen, choose the cable TV provider and sign in with the necessary details.
7. After that, the ESPN app will be activated on Roku.
Activate ESPN Using ESPN+
1. Open Settings on the ESPN app.
2. Select Subscriptions and tap ESPN+.
3. Next, select the Log In button. It will show you an activation code.
4. From a PC web browser, visit the activation webpage of ESPN.
5. Enter the activation code and hit the Continue button.
6. Enter the ESPN Plus account credentials and sign in to that account to activate the ESPN Plus app.
7. After that, you can access the ESPN app’s content on Roku.
Tip! With ESPN, you can watch SEC Network on Roku, which streams live university matches and major league matches in Basketball, Baseball, etc.
How to Screen Mirror ESPN on Roku Using Android
For this process, you must enable screen mirroring on Roku. If you don’t know how, use the below steps.
- Go to Settings → System → Screen Mirroring → Screen Mirroring Mode → Prompt.
1. Connect your Roku to WiFi, which must be the same WiFi as an Android smartphone.
2. Install the ESPN application on your Android by visiting the Play Store.
3. Run the ESPN app on your Android device.
4. Log in to the ESPN account with valid credentials.
5. Play any live event and tap the Cast icon in the ESPN application.
6. Select your Roku device to start mirroring.
Watch your favorite sporting events on Roku using an Android device.
How to AirPlay ESPN on Roku Using iPhone
Like the previous method, you should turn on screen mirroring on Roku to continue.
1. Connect your Roku and iPhone to the same WiFi.
2. Visit the App Store and get the ESPN application on your iPhone.
3. Open the ESPN application and log in with your TV provider or ESPN+ credentials
4. Play any match and click the AirPlay icon in the media player.
5. Choose Roku from the devices list to connect.
The selected match will play on your Roku TV using Apple AirPlay.
ESPN Supported Roku Devices
- Roku 2 (4210X)
- Roku 3
- Roku Express, Express+, 4K, 4K+
- Roku Streaming Stick (3600X, 3800X), Stick+, 4K, 4K+
- Roku Premiere, Premiere+
- Roku Ultra, Ultra LT
- Roku TV, 2K, 4K, 8K
ESPN Unsupported Roku Players
- Roku LT 2400X/EU
- Roku LT 2450X
- Roku HD 2500X
- Roku 2 HD 3000X
- Roku 2 XD 3050X
- Roku 2 XS 3100X/EU
- Roku Streaming Stick 3400X
- Roku Streaming Stick 3420X
How to Fix ESPN Not Working on Roku
Sometimes, the ESPN app will fail to work on Roku. It happens due to unstable network connection, device incompatibility, software glitches, etc. Follow these DIY fixes to resolve the ESPN not working on Roku issue.
- Connect your Roku device to a stable WiFi network.
- Check whether your device is compatible with the ESPN app.
- Uninstall and re-install the app on Roku.
- Restart your Roku device.
- Clear the cache on Roku.
- Check if the ESPN server status is down.
- Update the Roku to the latest firmware.
Plans and Pricing of ESPN+
You can subscribe to ESPN+ by visiting its official website. The following are the two subscription plans.
- Monthly Plan: $9.99 per month
- Annual Plan: $99.99 per month
How to Watch ESPN on Roku Without Cable
If you don’t have ESPN+, you can watch the ESPN channel using these streaming applications.
|Streaming Service||Plans & Pricing||Free Trial||Website|
|DIRECTV Stream on Roku||Entertainment Plan: $74.99/month|
Choice Plan: $99.99/month
Ultimate Plan: $109.99/month
|5 Days||Visit Website|
|Hulu on Roku||Hulu (With Ads) + Live TV: $76.99/month|
Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV: $89.99/month
Hulu Live TV only: $75.99/month
|YouTube TV on Roku||Base Plan: $72.99/month|
Spanish Plan: $34.99/month
|14 Days||Visit Website|
|fuboTV on Roku||Pro Plan: $74.99/month|
Elite Plan: $84.99/month
Premier Plan: $94.99/month
Latino Plan: $32.99/month
|7 Days||Visit Website|
|Sling TV on Roku||Sling Orange: $40/month|
Sling Blue: $40/month
Sling Orange + Blue: $55/month
|Vidgo on Roku||Vidgo Plus: $69.99/month|
Vidgo Premium: $84.99/month
Vidgo Ultimate: $99.99/month
Vidgo Mas: $39.99/month
|7 Days||Visit Website|
To cancel the ESPN Plus subscription, go to the channel’s grid and select the ESPN Plus tile. Next, press the Asterisk button on your remote and choose the Manage Subscription option. Then, choose the Cancel Subscription option.
Yes. You can stream UFC matches on Roku with an ESPN+ subscription.
No. ESPN+ does not offer any free trial.