We know their streaming services are available worldwide, but they provide country-specific content only. A VPN connection can help you to avoid such geo-restriction and also protect your data privacy.
Setting up a VPN connection on Roku TV is a little bit tricky as it does not support VPN directly, but not rocket science. In this article, we’ll tell you how you can connect your Roku TV to a VPN-enabled internet connection.
How to Download a VPN application
- Choose a reliable VPN that is easy-to-use, provides high-end security and speed. For example, NordVPN can be a good option because of the value of money and privacy.
[Note: Grab the best VPN deals on this Black Friday to save more!!! ]
- Go to the official website of that particular website of the VPN provider that you’ve chosen.
- Then you need to Sign-Up on to your account to subscribe to a free trial or premium version.
- Download and install an android VPN app on your mobile or tablet.
- Activate the VPN service for connecting your device to one of their VPN servers according to your preference.
For instance, suppose you are in Germany and wishing to watch American series on Netflix, you need to choose the American Server on NordVPN. You can check out the latest NordVPN Black Friday Sale at VPNblackfriday. In this way, you can avoid Geo restriction of any streaming device using a VPN application.
How to Setup VPN on Roku TV
Unfortunately, Roku OS-based devices do not support VPN apps and software. So, if you want to take advantage of VPN, you need to apply some tricks to avoid Geo restriction while using Roku TV. You can set up a VPN on an intermediary device like a Wi-Fi router; then connect the Roku to it. Here are some alternative methods –
- Enable a VPN-protected Wi-Fi hotspot from your laptop, and connect the Roku device to it.
- Install VPN on an Android tablet or smartphone, and cast its screen to the Roku Tv. Simple, isn’t it?
- The easiest way is to purchase an alternative VPN-compatible streaming device or Wi-Fi router.
How to Set up VPN Protection on a Router?
The setup process will differ based on what kind of router you’re using. Generally, you need to install a VPN on your Wi-Fi router and connect the Roku TV to the Wi-Fi network that the router is serving. Before purchasing any router or internet provider device, make sure that the router you’ve chosen supports VPN. That means, if the router doesn’t have VPN compatible firmware, you need to flash it with an alternative firmware like DD-WRT that supports VPN.
However, we’ll strictly advise you to go through the instructions and guidelines, as you need to act with caution. If you mess up the VPN installation process, it can damage your router. It will be a wise decision if you take professional advice on how to navigate the installation process from your internet provider.
How to Share a VPN-enabled Wi-Fi Hotspot Connection?
Setting up a VPN-enabled virtual router is easier than installing a VPN on a physical router. You only need a laptop with a proper internet connection, which will act as a VPN-enabled Wi-Fi hotspot. Then, connect the Roku TV to that hotspot, and automatically the streaming device will get protected by the laptop’s VPN-enabled connection.
But, the installation process depends on the operating system that you have on your laptop. Windows and Mac OS include different steps and methods; we’ll discuss both.
Share a VPN-enabled Wi-Fi Hotspot Connection from Windows Computer
- Go to ‘Settings’> Click on ‘Network and Internet’> Select ‘Mobile hotspot.’
- Choose ‘Wi-Fi‘ from both fields of ‘Share my internet connection FROM / OVER‘> Enable ‘Mobile hotspot‘ Toggle button.
- Again go to the ‘Settings’> Choose’ Network and Internet’> Select Change adapter options.
- To do so, Right-click on newly adapted (VPN Provider) > select ‘Properties.’
- Under the ‘Sharing‘ tab > Locate ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection‘ and Tick on the box > Select the hotspot name from the drop-down menu that you just created. > Click on ‘OK.’
Now, you can stream videos from your Roku TV using this VPN-enabled Wi-Fi connection.
Share a VPN enabled Wi-Fi Connection from Mac PC
Set up an IPsec or L2TP VPN on your Mac laptop using the account credentials of the VPN server. We have described the entire VPN setup process in our previous article. Now, it is time to enable a Wi-Fi hotspot from your Mac pc.
- Go to ‘System Preferences’> Select’ Sharing.’
- In the ‘Sharing’ box, go to ‘Internet Sharing,’ but don’t tick on it yet:
- In the ‘Share your connection from‘ field, choose the ‘VPN connection‘ that you’ve created from the drop-down box, > In ‘To computers using field,’ tick on the ‘Wi-Fi‘ box.
- Click on ‘Wi-Fi Options…‘> Configure the internet-sharing network by entering these credentials.
- Choose a unique Network Name.
- Channel: leave as default
- Security: leave as default or set WPA2 Personal
- Enter a strong password for the Wi-Fi network and verify it.
- Click on ‘OK‘
- If your Wi-Fi is disabled, the system will ask to enable it. To do so, click on ‘Turn Wi-Fi On.’
- Then, you will be redirected to the ‘sharing’ box, locate ‘Internet Sharing’ and enable it. It will indicate you by showing a green light next to ‘Internet Sharing: On.’
Now, your Mac PC is ready to share VPN-enabled hotspot internet service.
Using a VPN-connected internet service with Roku TV is a good idea for streaming services full of freedom and security. To do so, always choose a trustworthy VPN provider to do so. Besides these paid VPNs, you can use free VPN like Freemium and Completely Free with Roku to unblock a wide range of content on streaming services. The free version works well in unblocking a wide range of content; but, it includes some risk factors for your privacy and security.