VLC is an open-source media player that helps you in streaming video and music files from your local storage. In addition, the VLC Media Player supports most video formats, and it also has subtitle support. Moreover, the VLC app supports various devices like Android devices, iOS devices, Windows PC, and Mac PC. But the VLC app doesn’t support your Roku device. However, there are a lot of ways to get the VLC app on your Roku.
Is there a VLC App for Roku
No, the VLC app is officially unavailable for Roku. But you can anytime screen mirror the VLC app to Roku from Android device or iOS device or Windows PC, or Mac PC.
To screen mirror the VLC app to Roku, you need to do the following:
1. Enable the screen mirroring on Roku to mirror your Android devices and Windows PC.
2. Turn on the AirPlay feature on Roku to mirror your iOS devices and Mac PC.
How to Screen Mirror VLC to Roku from Android / iOS Devices
Connect your Android or iOS devices and Roku to the same wifi network and follow the steps below:
1. Get the VLC app on your Android or iOS device from the Google Play Store or App Store.
2. On Android device: Go to the Notification Panel and select Cast.
On iOS device: Go to the Control Centre and tap on Screen Mirroring.
3. Choose your Roku device from the list of available options.
4. Hit the Allow option on your Roku if required.
5. Your respective Android or iOS devices will be mirrored to Roku.
6. Launch the VLC app on your Android or iOS device.
7. Next, play any media content from your local storage and mirror them to Roku.
How to Screen Mirror VLC to Roku from Windows PC
Make sure you have connected your Windows PC and Roku to the same wifi network and follow the steps below:
1) Open the browser on your Windows PC.
2) Go to the official website of VLC and download the installer file.
3) After downloading the .exe file for VLC, launch it and follow the on-screen prompts to install VLC for your PC.
4) Hold down the Windows + k keys on your keyboard and select your Roku device from the Connect window.
5) Now, your Windows PC’s screen will be mirrored to Roku.
6) Launch the VLC app and stream the video from your local storage on Roku.
How to Screen Mirror VLC to Roku from Mac PC
1. Go to the Safari browser and download the VLC app for Mac.
2. Open the VLC app installer file and go through the on-screen prompts to install the VLC app on Mac.
3. Next, connect your Mac PC to the same wifi network as Roku.
4. Go to the home screen of your Mac and click on the Control Center icon.
5. Hit the Screen Mirroring icon and choose your Roku device from the list.
6. Now, your Mac PC’s screen will be mirrored to Roku.
7. After that, you can launch the VLC app and play the media files on your Roku.
Frequently Asked Questions
Roku Media Player is the best alternative for VLC.