If you have purchased a Roku device and to use it efficiently, you need to pair your Roku remote. Pairing the Roku remote with the Roku device is essential as it lets you control functions on the device quickly. The pairing process differs based on the Roku remote models.
You can pair the Roku remote with or without using the Pairing button. Irrespective of the Roku remote models, it takes only a few minutes to get paired with your Roku TV or streaming device. Refer to this article and follow the step-by-step instructions to pair the Roku remote with the device.
Things to Know Before the Pairing Process
There are four types of Roku remotes. They are:
1. Roku Simple Remote
If your Roku remote doesn’t have a Microphone button, it is a simple Roku remote, and you can only use this remote to control your Roku TV.
2. Roku Voice Remote
If you can find a Microphone or Search button on your remote, it is a Roku voice remote. Using this remote, you can control the basic functions using voice.
3. Roku Voice Remote Pro
Only in the Roku voice remote Pro, you can find the headphone jack on the side panel of your remote.
4. Roku Touch Tabletop Remote
This is a unique remote from Roku, and you can easily identify it with the square-shaped structure.
Important Note: The Pairing process differs from the Roku remote you possess.
How to Pair Roku Remote [By Remote Models]
The following methods brief you on pairing your different Roku remote models.
Roku Simple Remote
This remote will help you to control your TV using Infrared rays. To pair the Roku Simple Remote to Roku Stick, you only have to:
1. Turn on your Roku and then insert batteries into your Roku Simple Remote.
2. Next, point the remote to your Roku device and press any button.
You can’t control your Roku device if there is any distortion between the point of contact between your remote and your Roku device. So, make sure that there isn’t any distortion.
Roku Voice Remote (Standard Batteries)
Follow the below steps if your Roku Voice remote works on standard batteries.
1. Insert the new batteries in the battery compartment of the remote.
2. You can notice the Status Light flashing beneath the battery compartment (Nearer to the Pairing button). It denotes the remote is in pairing mode.
3. In certain conditions, if you notice the Status Light doesn’t flash, long press the Pairing button for a few seconds until the Status Light blinks.
Pair Roku Voice Remote without Pairing Button
If your Roku Voice remote doesn’t have a pairing button, you can use the shortcut buttons to get the remote paired with the device.
1. Slide down the battery pull tab on the remote.
2. Long press the Home and Back buttons on the remote for a few seconds.
3. The Status Light will be flashed, indicating that it is in the Pairing mode.
Roku Voice Remote and Voice Remote Pro (Rechargeable Model)
The following steps will help you pair both the Roku Voice Remote and Voice Remote Pro to your Roku TV or Roku Player.
1. Power on your Roku device and take your Roku remote on hand.
2. Next, remove the battery compartment cover, and you can see a Pairing button.
3. Press the Pairing button for about 5 seconds and you can see the status light flashing. That means your Roku remote pairing process has started.
4. Once the remote pairing process ends, you can see the confirmation message on-screen.
Roku Touch Tabletop Remote
If you have a Roku Touch Tabletop Remote, the following steps will help you pair the remote to your TV. This method will only work if you have already paired another Roku remote to your TV.
Note: You can also follow the steps below if you are to pair an additional remote to your TV.
1. With your existing Roku remote, go to Settings.
2. Next, scroll down and select the Remotes & devices option.
3. After that, select the Pair new device.
5. Next, choose Remote → Continue.
4. Now, on your Roku Touch Tabletop remote, remove the battery cover.
5. Locate the Pairing button. After that, press and hold the button until the status light flashes.
6. Next, you can follow the on-screen prompts on your TV to complete the pairing process.
How to Unpair Roku Remote
You can unpair the Roku remote from the device right away if no longer needed.
1. Long press the Home, Back, and Pairing buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
2. The Status Light will be blinked thrice and get unpaired.
3. Press a random button on the Roku remote to confirm whether it is paired.
What If My Roku Remote Doesn’t Pair
1. If you are using a Roku Simple Remote, follow the steps below:
- In some Roku device models, you can see a Reset button. Press the Reset button until the status light flashes. After that, your Roku device will be reset to its factory Settings. After that, try to use your Roku remote to control your TV.
- Remove any obstruction if it distorts the direct line of sight pointing to your Roku device and remote.
2. If your Roku Voice Remote isn’t working, refer to the steps below.
- Cut the power cord of Roku.
- Next, remove the batteries from your remote.
- After that, connect your Roku device back to the power supply and turn it on.
- Insert the batteries on your Roku remote once again.
- Press and hold the Pairing button on your remote until the status light flashes.
- After that, a message will pop up on-screen once your Roku remote pairing completes.
How to Control Roku TV with Roku Remote App
As an alternative way, you can connect the Roku Remote app to control your Roku TV.
1. Connect your Android or iOS device and Roku to the same WiFi network.
3. Launch the Roku app after installation and sign in to your account.
4. Hit the Devices tab from the bottom of the interface.
5. Select your Roku device that appears in the list of available devices.
6. Once your Roku device is connected to the Roku app, hit the Remote tab.
7. Now, you can use the Remote interface to control your Roku TV.
Open the Battery cover of your remote, and you can find the Pairing button.
Yes, you can pair the Roku remote with your Roku TV without using the pairing button.
First, plug out the power cord connecting your Roku and reconnect it after 20 seconds. Then, power on your Roku and hold the Pairing button on your remote until the green light flashes rapidly. After that, press the Pairing button until the status light flashes green. You have now successfully repaired your Roku remote.