Sling TV is one of the popular streaming services available only in the US. You can download Sling TV on your Roku device directly from the Roku Channel Store to stream 30+ live TV channels and VOD content. Although it is one of the top-rated streaming services, many Roku users have faced the problem of Sling TV not working properly on their devices. This problem may occur due to poor internet connectivity, temporary bugs, etc. Hopefully, this problem can be fixed easily by the user themself with basic troubleshooting knowledge.
Reasons Why Sling TV Not Working on Roku
The Sling TV app on Roku may not work due to many issues. Some of the major reasons are listed below.
- Poor internet connection
- Corrupted cache on Roku
- Server down issues
- Outdated Firmware on Roku
- Outdated app
How to Solve Not Working on Roku
As mentioned above, you can fix the problem of Sling TV not working on Roku easily with the troubleshooting methods mentioned below.
- Power cycle the WiFi router
- Check the server of Sling TV
- Update the Sling TV app on your device
- Sign out of your account from Sling TV on Roku
- Clear the cache on Roku
- Uninstall and reinstall the Roku app
- Update Roku
- Factory reset Roku
- Contact the customer support
Power Cycle the WiFi Router
The internet plays a huge role while streaming content on any device. If your Roku device receives a poor and slow internet supply, Sling TV content on your screen will start to buffer or freeze automatically. You can speed up the internet by power cycling your WiFi router. To do this, follow the steps mentioned below.
1. Unplug the power cable of the WiFi router from the power socket.
2. Wait for a few minutes and plug the power cable into the power socket.
3. Turn on the WiFi router and connect the WiFi to the Roku.
4. Now, perform a speed test on Roku. The problem may be resolved now. If it is not resolved, try the next fix.
Check the Server of Sling TV
Server issues are the major problem that will not allow your device to stream the content flawlessly. Unfortunately, the server down issue cannot be solved by the user. Since it is one of the major issues, you need to wait until the problem is resolved by the technical team of Sling TV.
Although you cannot fix the problem by yourself, you can check the status of the server from a third-party website like Downdetector. Since it is one of the most used streaming services in the US, it won’t last for long hours. Once the problem has been resolved by the technical team of Sling TV, you can get updates and notifications on their social media page. If there is no server issues, try updating the Sling TV app to fix the issue.
Update the Sling TV App
Updating the app will help you to fix the temporary bugs and glitches on the app. If you are streaming the content with the old version of the app, you may face the problems like a black screen, error codes, and more. Updating the app is the only way to fix all issues regarding the app. By updating the apps on Roku, you can fix the bugs and errors from the last update and you can also enjoy the new features in the app.
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote and navigate to the Apps sections.
2. Select and highlight the Sling TV app from the list of apps.
3. Press the Asterisk (*) key on the Roku remote and select Check for Updates.
4. If the app is available for update, it will be updated automatically.
5. After updating, launch the app and check whether the app working properly. If it is not working, try removing your account and sign in again.
Sign Out of your Account from Sling TV on Roku
Sometimes the Sling TV app may be affected by temporary bugs or errors. At this time, it will not allow you to access the content properly. The only way to fix these types of errors is by removing your account from the Sling TV app on Roku. After removing your account on the Sling TV app, wait for a few minutes and log in to your account. By doing this process, you can eliminate the temporary bugs in the app.
1. Go to the Apps section on Roku and launch the Sling TV app.
2. Select the Settings tab at the top right corner.
3. Hit the Sign Out button to remove the account from your Roku device.
4. Close the Sling TV app from your Roku device and wait for a few minutes.
5. Now, launch the Sling TV app and sign in with your account credentials.
6. Once you have logged in to your account, play any video from the Sling TV app.
7. Now, the problem of not working may be fixed automatically. If not, try the next fix.
Clear the Cache on Roku
Cache data are temporary files that cannot be removed entirely from any device. These corrupted cache data will not allow the app or your device to work properly. Since you cannot eliminate the corrupted cache from a particular app on Roku, you need to remove the cache data entirely from the Roku device. By clearing the cache on Roku, you can eliminate all the errors and bugs from the device. To clear the cache on Roku, you need to press a certain combination of keys on the Roku remote.
1. Turn on your Roku device and navigate to the home page.
2. Select the Home option from the list of options.
2. Now, press the buttons mentioned below in order to clear the cache on Roku.
- Home button – 5 times.
- Up button – 1 time.
- Rewind button – 2 times.
- Fast forward – 2 times.
3. Within a few minutes, the cache data will be removed from your device entirely. If clearing the cache files is not working for you, try the next fix.
Reinstall the Sling TV App
If updating the app has not helped you to fix the issue, you can uninstall and reinstall the Sling TV application on your Roku device.
1. Press the Right arrow on your Roku remote from the home screen.
2. Locate and choose the Sling TV app from the list of apps.
3. Now, press the asterisk (*) key on your Roku remote.
4. Choose Remove Channel from the popup menu to uninstall the app from your Roku device.
5. Now, wait for a few minutes and select the Streaming Channels option from the home screen.
6. Click Search Channels and enter Sling TV using the on-screen keyboard.
7. Select the official app from the list of apps and select +Add Channel to install the app on Roku.
8. Now, launch the app and log in with your Sling TV account credentials.
9. Finally, start streaming your desired content from the Sling TV app. If you still have the same issue, try updating your Roku device.
Update the Firmware of the Roku
The application will not work properly if your Roku device is running on a very old version. Always ensure to update the Firmware of Roku to fix most of the not working issues.
1. Navigate to the home screen of Roku and choose Settings.
2. Select System and tap System Update.
3. Hit the Check Now button to search for the update.
4. If your device is available for an update, you can see the Update Now button.
5. Hit the Update Now button to download and install the update on your Roku device. If updating the device is not fixing the issue, you need to reset the device.
Factory Reset Roku
Factory reset is the final way to fix most of the troubleshooting problems. But remember that if you are performing a factory reset on Roku will bring your device back to its initial stage. You will lose all your current data stored on the Roku device, including apps, credentials, Roku PIN, and more.
1. From your home page, select the Settings option.
2. Choose System and hit the Advanced system settings options.
3. Select the Factory reset button and enter the Roku PIN.
4. Finally, hit the Start factory reset button to factory reset your device.
If you have the same issue even after the reset, you need to contact customer support.
Contact Customer Support
If none of the methods above troubleshooting techniques helps you to fix the Sling TV not working issue on Roku, then the mistake is not on your side. So you can reach the customer support website of Roku or the technical support website of Sling TV to report the issue and get guidance or updates regarding its rectification.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can directly sign in with your Sling TV account. If you want to activate the app, you need to visit the Sling TV activation website and enter the activation code.