Facetime is a video chatting/calling application developed by Apple. It was available only for Apple-owned (iOS and macOS) devices. There is no way for iOS users to Facetime with Android users; it can only be done between iOS users. All the video calls that are made on Facetime are End to end encrypted, so there is no worry about security and privacy. It is also said that Apple cannot even decrypt all the encrypted calls. So let’s see how to Facetime on the Roku device in the article below.
Features of Facetime
- Facetime can able host up to 32 persons simultaneously.
- It enables you to use emojis, Animoji, and stickers while in your Facetime call.
- Facetime has both video and audio call features over the internet.
- It uses end-to-end encryption for a secured video calling experience.
- Video calls can be viewed on both front and rear cameras at a quality of 1080p.
Facetime available device
As said before, Facetime is available only for iOS and Mac devices. Also, it is 100% not accessible on any Android, windows, or any other OS device. Apart from that, also in Apple devices, only the following model can have Facetime access.
- iOS devices – In only Wi-Fi devices (iPhone 4 or later) and in the cellular devices (iPhone 4s or later).
- macOS devices – OS X Lion 10.7 or later
Note: Also, check the availability of your Facetime in your locality because some Middle-Eastern countries (like UAE, etc.) have banned VoIP calls.
Before casting anything from your iOS/Mac device to Roku, make notes of the following.
- Connect and Turn on your Roku device
- Make sure both the Roku device and the casting device are connected to the same WiFi Network.
Mirror Facetime from the iOS device on Roku
 Open App Store on your iOS device.
 Download and install Mirror for Roku by AirbeamTV from the app store.
 Open the app and select your Roku device from the list of available devices.
 It will ask you to open Mirror for the Roku channel in your Roku.
 If the channel is not available on your Roku device, it will prompt you to add the channel.
 Click on Add channel to add Mirror to Roku on your channel list.
 After adding the channel, open it on your Roku device.
 Again tap on your Roku device from the Mirror for Roku app and tap on Allow Notifications.
 Tap on Start Mirroring on your iOS device.
 Again click on Start Broadcast.
 Wait until the connection is established.
 Now open Facetime app on your device and make the call to your friend/family.
NOTE: If you haven’t installed the Facetime app, you can install the app from the App Store.
 That’s it now; you can view Facetime on your Roku device.
Note: Place the phone in the upright position in front of your Roku device to be visible to your Friend/Family at the other end.
Related: How to get Zoom on Roku
Mirror Facetime from Macbook on your Roku
 Open the Mac App Store on your Mac PC.
 Search and install Mirror Mirror for Roku on your Mac device.
 Once the app is installed, it will be added to your top menu bar.
 Now open the app on your device.
 Select the target device as your Roku device.
 Now, if your need to hear audio on your Roku device, then check the Enable Sound on the TV box.
 It will be asked you to install an Audio driver to cast and listen to audio.
 Click on Open Website from the pop-up.
 On the website, click on Download Audio driver to start downloading.
 Once the app is downloaded, install the package file (.pkg) on your Mac device.
 After installation, it will ask you to restart all the media player applications like Quicktime player, VLC, Safari, Chrome, etc.
Note: It is better to restart your device completely for better results.
 Now check the Enable Sound on the TV box.
 This time it will ask you to provide access to a microphone to access sound from your Mac device.
 Click on Authorize and confirm it by clicking Ok on the pop-up screen.
 Now check the enable sound on the TV box and click on start mirroring.
 Again but this in your Roku device will ask you to Add a Mirror for Roku channel on your Roku device; click on Ok.
 Click on Add channel and open the channel on your Roku device.
 Finally, click on Start mirroring from your Mac device.
 Now Open Facetime and make a call to any of your friends/family.
 That’s it; now, you can view your Facetime call on your Roku device.
Note: There may be a delay of one to three seconds which is normal. Also, place your Macbook in front of your TV for you to be visible on the other end.
BONUS: Alternative Ways to Get FaceTime on Roku
You can also use the web to join the FaceTime call. That means you can break the restrictions and join the FaceTime call on your PC from the web. And to do the same, you can follow the steps below.
1. Connect your PC to the Wi-Fi network as same as your Roku device.
2. Then, launch the FaceTime app on your iOS Smartphone and host a video call. Then, copy the video call link or ask your friends to share the video call link.
3. Next, copy the FaceTime Video call link and launch any browser on your PC.
4. Now, paste the FaceTime call link on the URL box and visit it.
5. Fill in the required details and click on the Join button.
6. Currently, you are attending the FaceTime call meeting on your PC.
7. After that, press the Windows + K keys on your keyboard and choose your Roku device.
8. Finally, you have mirrored the FaceTime Video call to your TV.
Related: How to Use Whatsapp on Roku?
Frequently Asked Questions
No, but you can screen mirror the FaceTime app to your TV.
Yes, FaceTime is a free platform to make video or audio calls free.