A few years back, Roku introduced Apple AirPlay 2 and Homekit feature on the selected devices. With Airplay, you can mirror videos, photos, and audio from iPhone, iPad, and Mac. To AirPlay your iPhone/Mac to the Roku TV, you need to connect the devices to the same WiFi network.
In this article, we have made step-by-step instructions on how to mirror your iPhone and Mac screen to the Roku streaming devices or Roku TV. We have covered the list of supported Roku devices and common troubleshooting steps to fix the AirPlay not working on Roku issue.
AirPlay Supported Roku Devices
The list of devices must run on Roku OS 10.0 or later to access AirPlay-2.
|Roku TV||Dxxxx, 8xxxx|
|Roku Streaming Stick||3600, 3800, 3801|
|Roku Express||3900, 3930, 3932, 3960|
|Roku Express+||3910, 3931|
|Roku 2||4205, 4210|
|Roku 3||4200, 4201, 4230|
The below-mentioned device models must run on Roku OS 9.4 and above to support the AirPlay-2 feature.
|Roku TV||Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx|
|Roku Streambar Pro||9101R2|
|Roku Streaming Stick +||3810, 3811|
|Roku Streaming Stick 4K||3820|
|Roku Streaming Stick 4K+||3821|
|Roku Express 4K||3940|
|Roku Express 4K +||3941|
|Roku Premiere||3920, 4620|
|Roku Premiere+||3921, 4630|
|Roku Ultra||4600, 4640, 4660, 4661, 4670, 4800, 4802|
|Roku Ultra LT||4662, 4801|
|Roku Smart Soundbar||9100, 9101|
Things You Should Know Beforehand
To AirPlay on Roku, the following requirements should be met:
- Your Roku device must be running on Roku OS 9.4 or higher. If running on the earlier version, update your Roku device to the latest firmware.
- You should have your iPhone or iPad running on iOS 12.3 or higher.
- Your macOS version should be on Mojave 10.14.5 or higher.
How to Turn On AirPlay on Roku
1. Open the Settings on Roku.
2. Scroll down and choose the Apple AirPlay & HomeKit option.
3. Choose the AirPlay option and turn it on. You can also modify Require Code, Subtitles and Captioning settings, based on your preferences.
Note: If you haven’t set up AirPlay, select Set Up under HomeKit to get started.
How to AirPlay to Roku from iPhone & iPad
Certain streaming apps on the App Store, like Disney Plus, support the AirPlay feature. If you have installed any AirPlay-supported apps on your iPhone & iPad, you can easily AirPlay videos to watch them on the big screen.
1. Connect your Roku TV to the WiFi to which your iPhone and iPad are connected.
2. Launch the AirPlay-supported app on your device.
3. Sign in to your account.
4. Play the content you like to watch. Hit the AirPlay icon on the media player.
5. Select your Roku device from the list of available devices that appear on the screen.
6. Enter the AirPlay Passcode on your iPhone/iPad if required.
7. Finally, the selected content will be mirrored on your Roku TV.
How to AirPlay Music to Roku
1. Install the Spotify app on your iPhone from the App Store.
2. Launch the app and sign in to your account.
3. Play any songs you like to listen to and tap on the AirPlay icon.
4. Select your Roku from the available devices list.
5. Now, you can listen to your favorite songs on your Roku TV.
How to AirPlay Photos to Roku
1. Launch the Photos app and choose any of your favorite images or albums to AirPlay.
2. Tap the Share button from the lower left corner.
3. Choose your Roku device and get your favorite photos on the big screen.
How to Screen Mirror iPhone / iPad to Roku
If you like to mirror the complete screen of your iPhone / iPad, you can use the Screen Mirroring feature.
1. Connect your iPhone or iPad and Roku to the same WiFi network.
2. Go to the Control Center and tap on the Screen Mirroring icon.
3. From the list of devices that appear on the screen, choose your Roku device.
4. Now, the AirPlay Passcode will display on your TV. Note the passcode down.
5. Enter the Passcode on the required field of your iPhone and tap OK.
Finally, you can see the screen of the iPhone on Roku. You can now choose any media files from your local storage or open any app to mirror its content to Roku.
How to AirPlay to Roku from Mac
Update your Mac to the latest version and follow the steps below:
Note: Make sure to connect your Roku and Mac to the same WiFi network.
1. On the Mac’s home screen, click on the Control Center and hit the Screen Mirroring icon.
2. Then, a list of nearby devices will appear on the screen. From there, select your Roku device.
3. You can see your Mac’s screen getting mirrored to Roku.
How to Fix If the AirPlay is Not Working on Roku
The following troubleshooting methods will help you fix the AirPlay not working issue on Roku Ultra and Roku TV brands like Hisense, Sharp, Insignia, Philips, and TCL.
1. Check the device connection – Ensure you have connected your Apple devices and Roku to the same WiFi network.
2. Reboot the Router – Try rebooting the router if the internet speed is sluggish. Having a weak internet speed can cause lags while streaming.
3. Restart Roku TV – Restarting Roku will fix any minor issues, such as the app cache on your device.
4. Update the app – Update the app on your device when you can’t AirPlay.
5. Reset Roku Stick – If the AirPlay issue is not yet fixed, you can reset your Roku to fix all the errors.
6. Contact Roku Customer Support – Lastly, you can contact the Roku Customer Support team to resolve the errors with the AirPlay feature.
If your Roku device doesn’t support AirPlay, check whether the devices are connected to the same WiFi. Ensure you are closer to the Roku device and don’t have interference when AirPlay.
You can use third-party apps like Streamer to mirror your iOS devices to Roku.
No. Unfortunately, you can’t AirPlay the devices to Roku TV without using WiFi.