Hotstar is a streaming service that features various shows and movies from Star Network Inc. The featured contents include Star Network shows, movies, Disney shows, etc. You can also get access to certain live sports events. The app is available in various countries like India, Canada, the US, and Singapore. The app is available on various platforms like Android, iOS, Smart TVs, etc. For Roku users, The app is officially available on the Roku Channel Store. It implies that you can install Hotstar on Roku. All you have to do is install the application and activate it with your account to stream the content.
IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2020, the Hotstar platform has been rebranded to Disney + Hotstar.
How to Get Hotstar on Roku
The Disney + Hotstar platform is only available in India. That means you can only access this platform in India. Also, with a free account, you can only access some of the contents for free. To get complete access to the Hotstar platform, you need to subscribe to any of the three subscription plans listed below:
Super: Rs.899 per year.
Premium: Rs.1499 per year.
And to subscribe to Disney + Hotstar, visit its official website.
1. Connect your Roku streaming device to the TV via an HDMI port.
2. Turn on your TV and launch the Roku player.
3. Connect your Roku device to the internet.
4. Now, sign in with your login credentials.
5. On the Roku home screen, click on the Streaming Channels.
6. From the Roku Channel Store, click on the Search Channels.
7. On the search field, type Hotstar with the help of an on-screen keyboard.
8. Select the Hotstar app from the list of available apps.
9. On the app installation screen, click on Add Channel.
10. The Hotstar app will install on your Roku device.
11. Then, click on Go To Channel to launch the app.
Related: How to stream Discovery Plus on Roku
Alternative Method – How to Access Hotstar on Roku
You also have the screen mirroring feature that lets you to mirror the Disney + Hotstar app to your Roku TV. And to do the same, go to Settings > System > Screen mirroring > Screen mirroring mode. Then, choose the Prompt or Allways Allow option to enable the screen mirroring on your Roku TV.
Screen Mirror Hotstar from Android Smartphone
Firstly, connect your Roku device and Android SMartphone to the same Wi-Fi network and follow the steps below.
1. Open the Google Play Store on your Android Smartphone.
2. Next, search and install the Disney + Hotstar app.
3. After installing the Disney + Hotstar app, launch it and sign in to your account.
4. Then, go to the Notification Panel and tap on Cast.
5. Now, choose your Roku device from the list of available devices.
6. Finally, you can watch the Disney + Hotastr on your Roku TV.
Screen Mirror Disney + Hotstar from iOS Smartphone
Ensure that you have connected your Roku device and iOS Smartphone to the same Wi-Fi network and follow the steps below.
1. Launch the Disney + Hotstar app on your iOS Smartphone.
NOTE: If you haven’t installed the Disney + Hotstar app, you can install the app from the App Store.
2. Once the Disney + Hotstar app is installed, launch it and sign in to your account.
3. Next, choose any of your favorites and watch it.
4. Launch the Control Center and tap on the Screen Mirroring icon.
5. Now, choose your Roku device and watch your favorites from Hotstar on TV.
Screen Mirror Disney + Hotstar from PC
1. Open any web browser on your PC and visit the official website of Disney + Hotstar.
2. Then, log in to your account.
3. Browse or search for your favorites on the Hotstar website and play it.
4. Don’t forget to connect your PC and Roku to the same Wi-Fi network.
5. Then, press the Windows + K keys on your keyboard and choose your Roku device.
6. Finally, the Disney + Hotstar platform will mirror to your Roku TV.
How to Fix If the Hotstar is Not Working on Roku
If the Hotstar app on Roku has failed to load contents, follow these simple solutions.
- Update your Roku firmware to the latest version (if available)
- Clear Cache on Roku.
- Uninstall and re-install Hotstar app.
- Restart your Roku, and then use the app.
- If the above solutions fail to fix the issue, reset your Roku and start using it from scratch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Disney + Hotstar is available in the Channel Store, and you can also access some of the content with ads.
You need to check your internet connection, then follow the troubleshooting steps from the official website of Hotstar.