Roku is one of the most popular streaming devices that made online streaming simpler. It has several streaming applications by default. However, if you want to explore more content, you need to add the required streaming channel to your Roku device. These channels are available on its exclusive Roku channel store, where you can add and manage tons of apps. In Roku, apps are mentioned as channels. This Roku Channel Store can be accessed in several ways, which are explained clearly in this article. Go through this article and get to know about this in detail.
Ways to Add Apps/Channels on Roku
There are 3 different ways to download and add apps on your Roku devices. You can add apps,
How to Add Apps Directly on Roku Device
This is the most basic method with which we download and add apps on your Roku device.
1. Turn on your Roku device and connect it to the internet.
2. Go to Roku’s home screen by pressing the Home button on your Roku remote.
3. Scroll down and click on Streaming Channels.
4. Then, click on the Search Channels option.
5. Using the virtual keyboard, type in the channel name in the Search tab and search for it. If your Roku device has a voice search feature, use it.
6. Click the Add Channel option to add the app from the Channel Store.
7. Once the channel is added, click the Go to Channel option to launch it.
8. Now, you can sign up or sign in (if required) and start streaming the channel’s media.
How to Add Apps on Roku from Roku Channel Store Website
You can also add apps from the Roku Channel Store website. Here’s how to do it.
1. On your browser, go to the Roku Channel Store website.
2. Click on the Sign in option provided at the top and log in to your Roku account linked to your Roku device.
3. In the Search channels tab, type in the name of the app you want.
4. After typing in, the app gets suggested. Click on Details. It takes you to the app info page.
5. On the app page, click + Add channel to add the app to your Roku device.
6. The app will be added to your Roku device within 24 hours. You have to update the Roku firmware if you want the channel immediately
How to Add Apps on Roku Using Roku Mobile App
1. Download and install The Roku App from the respective application store on your Android/iOS device.
2. Login with the Roku account linked to your Roku device.
3. Go to the Channel section and choose Channel Store in the top column.
4. Search or navigate to the channel you wish to add.
5. Click on Add channel.
6. Once the channel is added, it will get updated on your Roku device.
How to Add Beta Channels on Roku
Once, Roku offered a Private Channel feature using which you can install and watch channels that aren’t available on the Google Play Store. But Roku has discontinued this feature, and it is impossible to get those secret channels now. But in its place, Roku has introduced a Beta Channel feature intended for testing purposes. If you are a developer, you can make use of this feature and add your desired channels.
1. On your browser, go to the official website of Roku.
2. Click on the Sign in option provided at the top.
3. Now, log in to the website with your Roku credentials linked to your device.
4. Click on the Profile icon in the top right and choose My account.
5. Under the Manage account section, choose Add channel with a code option.
6. Enter your Private channel code in the displayed field and click Add channel.
7. Confirm it by selecting Yes, Add channel.
8. The Beta channel will appear on your Roku device after some time.
9. Depending on the app, you may need to sign up/sign in to use the app and watch its content.
NOTE: Roku Beta channels will be available only for a period of 120 days post-installation. After that period, it will get expired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Roku TVs, too, run on Roku OS. So, to add channels on Roku TV, go to Roku TV’s Home screen → Streaming Channels → Search Channels →Type in the Channel name → Add Channel → Go to Channel to launch the app.
No. You cannot sideload apps on Roku TV.
Channels are called Beta channels. They won’t be available on the official Roku Channel Store. You are required to go to your Roku account on its website and click on Add Channel under the Manage account option. Enter the channel code there and download the app.
Search for the required channels in the official Roku Channel Store. If available, add it. Or else you can connect an Over-the-Air Antenna to watch local channels on Roku.