Subtitles (i.e., also known as closed captions) can be a favorably convenient feature of your Roku device. Whether you’re watching a dramatic TV show or an action-packed movie from various countries, closed captions in your mother tongue let you bridge the language gap and take your streaming experience on Roku to another level. As a result of turning on the closed captions on Roku, you have a better way of understanding your favorites if you have a language gap. But how exactly do you turn on subtitles on Roku? Read this article until the end to learn how to turn on subtitles on Roku and also how to use this feature on playback videos. Let’s get started!
Related: How to change Input on Roku
How to Turn on Subtitles on Roku
Here are the steps you need to do to turn on closed captions on Roku,
1. Turn on your Roku TV. Next, press the Home button on your Roku remote.
2. Scroll down from the left pane and select the Settings option.
3. Tap on the Accessibility option to open the Captions menu. In case if can’t see the “Accessibility” option there, then choose “Captions.”
4. Now, choose Captions mode and select the On always option.
5. If you want to disable the subtitles on Roku, select the Off option.
[Note: If you choose the ‘On replay’ option, the subtitles only appear when you press the Replay button on your Roku remote]
Captions Preferred Language – With this option, you can choose the subtitle language that will be displayed while streaming any videos on your Roku TV.
Captions Style – This specific option will help you with selecting the font style of the subtitles that are displayed while streaming videos on your Roku TV.
Related: How to change Email on Roku
Alternative Method – Turn on Subtitle on Roku
With the steps below, you will get subtitles to the audio or video you’re streaming on your Roku TV easily.
1. Play any audio or video you want on your Roku TV.
2. Then, press the Asterisk button on your Roku TV remote.
3. Now, a small window will display onscreen of your Roku TV.
4. From the small window, select the Captions mode option and make sure that it is turned on.
How to Fix If the Closed Captioning is Not working on Roku
The following are the steps to fix if the closed captioning feature is not working on Roku.
1. Make sure that the closed captioning future is turned on from the Settings.
2. If the Closed Caption is still turned on and still the subtitles are not showing up, you can restart your Roku device. And to restart your Roku device, go to Settings > System > System Restart > Restart. Now, your Roku TV will automatically turn off and will be restarted to the home screen. Then, you can play any videos to check if the captions are working or not.
3. There are also other possibilities that you have customized the Closed Captioning a little too bit; that’s why the subtitles are not working. So, to fix the issue, follow the steps below.
- Select the Settings on your Roku TV from the home screen.
- Then, select the Accessibility option.
- Now, scroll down and find the Captions style option and select it.
Make the desired or stable adjustments and fix the Closed Captions not working issue.
Other Possible Ways to Fix the Closed Captioning Issues
The following are the other possible ways you should use to fix the closed captioning issues on your streaming device.
1. Update Roku
Updating your Roku TV will fix most of the issues. So, there are also possibilities that the bugs on your streaming device have caused the Closed Captioning not to work. So, update your Roku TV by following the steps below:
- From your Roku TV home screen, select Settings.
- Then, choose the System option.
- Now, from the System section, choose the System Update option.
- Next, select the Check Now button to check for any possible updates.
- If an update is found, you will receive a notification. From the Notification window, select the Update Now button.
Finally, your Roku TV will be updated, and mostly, the closed captioning issues will be fixed.
2. Reset Roku
If you still can’t fix the closed captioning issue, you can reset your Roku device. And this function will erase all the Settings and files stored on your Roku TV. Also, resetting your Roku TV is the only option you have left with to fix the errors on your streaming device.
So, by following the fixes mentioned above, you can easily fix the closed captioning errors on your Roku TV.
Opening the Door for Hours of Fun…
Enabling subtitles is a great way to relish previously inaccessible content due to language constraints. This feature helps you overcome the language barrier, letting you access the numerous popular foreign-language films and TV shows. It even works great for clarifying muffled audio and lets you understand your favorite entries better.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can turn on the subtitles on Roku.
Go to Roku Settings > Accessibility > Captions Mode. Then, select the On Always option. Now, the closed captioning will be enabled on your Roku TV.