How annoying would it be? When your Roku device keeps buffering in between streaming. Though this can be frustrating, we can check on some of the reliable troubleshooting methods that would help us fix the issue. If your device keeps buffering, this may happen because of the following issues,
- Slow internet connections
- Out-of-date operating system
- These may be the reasons for buffering.
Methods that Can Fix Roku Buffering Issue
Though the issue can be due to various factors, we might have to follow the troubleshooting methods to understand the cause of the issue. Moreover, we can prevent them from happening again by doing so.
- Ensure a Stable Internet Connection
- Restart your Roku device
- Update the Roku
- Reinstall the Application
- Restart modem
- Faster network connection
- Clearing Roku cache
- Resetting Roku device
- Avoid overheating
- Contact the Roku support
Ensure a Stable Internet Connection
Whenever you’re using the Roku device, make sure that the device is connected to a proper internet connection. So, we can make use of Fast.com to check the internet speed. If the speed is low, check with the internet service provider, and wait until they help you fix the issue. Once the internet connectivity is stable, check if the Roku device buffering issue is fixed.
Restart your Roku Device
Restarting the Roku device might help you solve the buffering issue,
1. Press the Home button from the Roku remote.
2. Then, select the Settings option.
3. Click on the System from the menu.
4. Now, select System Restart from the list of options.
After this process, your Roku gets restarted, after which you check whether the Roku buffering issue has been fixed.
Update the Roku Firmware
Is your Roku device buffering while using it? updating the Roku device can help you fix the issue,
1. Move to the Home page and select the Settings option.
2. Click on the System from the menu.
3. Then, select the System update.
4. Now, press the Check now for the update that is available for Roku.
Once the process gets over, the Roku device gets updated automatically. After that, you can use the device and check that the issue has been solved.
Reinstall the Application
At times we might face issues due to temporary glitches caused by the apps on the Roku device. So, we can remove the app from the Roku device because issues in the app may also lead Roku to buffer. In that case, Remove the app and re-add it to your Roku channel list. This will clear all the issues in the app; after completing this method, you can start using Roku.
Sometimes you have to restart your modem; this helps you to fix the Roku buffering. The modem may not have an internet connection; in that situation restarting the modem can fix the issue on Roku.
1. Unplug the power and ethernet cables from the modem.
2. Wait for 2-3 minutes for the modem to fully off.
3. Reconnect the power and the cables to the modem.
4. Now, turn it on and check whether the issue has been fixed.
Faster Network Connection
To fix the Roku buffering, you can connect the Roku with your faster network connection. Then, disconnect the old connection and connect to a different, faster network with lesser traffic and faster internet speed.
Clearing Roku Cache
To stop the Roku buffering, you can also clean the Roku cache from the device. Follow the below process on Roku Remote to clean the cache,
- Tap on the Home button 5 times > Press up > Press rewind 2 times > Press fast forward 2 times.
Doing so can improve Roku’s performance and fix the Roku device buffering issue.
Resetting Roku Device
Resetting the Roku device helps you to fix the buffering.
1. Press the Home button on the Roku remote.
2. Scroll down and select Settings.
3. Move to the System option and select the Advance System Setting.
4. Click the Factory Reset menu.
After this process, the device gets reset, and you can check whether the issue has been fixed.
Avoid Overheating of Device
There is a time limit for using the device daily; if the Roku gets overheated, it may start to buffer. In this case, turn off your Roku device and wait until the Roku device’s temperature reduces. Now, turn on your Roku device and watch the content you need. This overheating should be avoided before it leads to some other issues.
Contact the Roku Support
After trying all these methods, you must contact the Roku support center if your Roku is still buffering. They will guide you to sort out the issue that takes place. You can contact them through the mail, or if the problem continues, you can replace the Roku with the new one.
You can reduce the router’s distance close to the Roku device or install both devices where there are fewer objects and walls between them.
This can be due to insufficient internet bandwidth for the Roku device.