In Roku Community, there are a lot of users complaining that the YouTube app is not working for them. This can happen because of various internal and external issues. However, the issues with the YouTube app can be fixed with basic troubleshooting methods.
Devices that have Issues With the YouTube Channel
The issues with the YouTube channel occurred commonly on the following devices:
Why Isn’t the YouTube Channel Working on Roku
The following are some of the reasons why YouTube is not working on Roku:
- Slow internet speed
- Server issues with YouTube
- Some bugs on your Roku
- Outdated YouTube app
- Outdated Roku device
How to Fix YouTube Not Working on Roku Issue
The first thing you have to do is check if the server of YouTube is fine. You can check the servers of YouTube using third-party websites like Downdetector. If the server is the issue, you have to wait till the problem gets resolved. In case there are no issues with the server, you need to follow the troubleshooting methods to find the fix for the YouTube not working issue.
Fix 1 – Check the Internet Speed
You can’t stream on YouTube without a stable internet speed. So, ensure that your internet connection is stable on Roku. If the internet speed is slow, you can notice the videos on the YouTube app not loading properly. In that scenario, you may need to restart your router by unplugging it from the power supply and reconnecting it after 5-10 minutes. If this doesn’t solve the issue, you need to contact your Internet Service Provider.
Fix 2 – Clear Cache on Roku
Sometimes the cache build-up on your Roku can be the cause of why the channels on Roku are not loading content properly. Sometimes you can’t open a channel on Roku if the cache build-up is too much. So, try clearing the cache on Roku to fix the issues with the YouTube app.
Note: You need to perform the following functions on your Roku remote.
1. Firstly, start by pressing the ‘Home’ button once.
2. Next, continuously press the ‘Home’ button five times.
3. Next, press the ‘Up’ once and the ‘Rewind’ button two times.
4. Finally, press the ‘Fast Forward’ button two times.
Now, the cache stored on your Roku will be cleared. After that, launch the YouTube channel on Roku and check if the issues are fixed.
Fix 3 – Uninstall & Reinstall the YouTube App
There might be some bugs in the YouTube app, and that’s why the app is not working. To fix the issue, you need to uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app.
1. Press the ‘Home’ button to go to the home screen.
2. Navigate to the ‘YouTube’ channel.
3. Next, press the ‘Asterisk’ (*) button on your remote.
4. Select the ‘Remove channel’ option from the pop-up menu.
Now, the YouTube app on your Roku will be uninstalled. After that, go to the Roku home screen > Search Channels > Streaming Channels > Search for YouTube > hit the Add Channel button. After installing the YouTube app, launch it and check if the issues on the YouTube app are fixed or not.
Fix 4 – Restart your Roku Device
The bugs on your Roku device can also be the reason why the YouTube app is not working. To fix the issue, you just have to restart your Roku device.
1. Select Settings from the Roku home screen.
2. Next, choose the System option.
3. Scroll down and choose the System Restart option.
4. Hit the Restart option. After this, your Roku device will turn off automatically and restarts by itself.
After this process, check if the YouTube app is working well or not.
Fix 5 – Update the YouTube App
You may not notice that the YouTube app on your Roku is outdated. The outdated YouTube app may have a lot of bugs, or it may be incompatible with your Roku device. To fix the issue, you need to update the YouTube app to the latest version. To update the YouTube app, go to:
1. Launch the home screen of Roku and press the Right button on your remote.
2. From the Channel’s grid, select the YouTube tile and press the Asterisk (*) button on your remote.
3. From the pop-up window, select the Check for updates option.
Doing this will allow your Roku to check if there is any latest update available for the YouTube app. In case there is the latest update available, your Roku will automatically install it. After that, check if the issues with the youtube app are fixed or not.
Fix 6 – Update Roku to the Latest Version
In alternative cases, you may be using an outdated Roku device. In this scenario, many apps will not get support. Also, updating the Roku device will remove all the bugs on it. To update Roku, you can do the following.
1. Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote.
2. Navigate to the ‘Settings’ option.
3. Select the ‘System’ option and then the ‘System Update’ option.
4. Select the ‘Check now’ option. This starts to check for pending updates. If an update is found, it will be installed automatically. Once this is done, you can launch and stream on the YouTube app.