As a Roku user, you may have come across various issues while accessing channels on your device. You may have faced, loading, freezing, and crashing issues while opening a channel. The primary reason for this issue is because of the cache stored on your Roku. However, you can clear the cache on Roku and fix the issues on your device in easy ways.
Should I Clear the Cache on Roku?
In case you found that your Roku device is slowing down or the apps you have installed is loading slowly, you need to immediately clear the cache on your Roku. An alternative scenario is that clearing the cache will help you in freeing up the storage space on your Roku.
What are the Possible Ways to Clear Cache on Roku?
There are two ways to clear the cache on Roku. They are:
- Remove the entire cache on Roku using remote
- Clear cache on a specific app
Steps to Clear Cache on Roku using Remote
1. Turn on your Roku and press the Home button on your remote.
2. Next, make sure that the Home option is selected on your Roku’s interface before moving further.
3. After that, do the following functions on your Roku remote.
- Press the Home button 5 times.
- Next, press the Up button.
- Press the Rewind button 2 times.
- Press Fast Forward 2 times.
4. After that, you have to wait for 15 to 30 seconds. The Roku device will remove the cache & junk files and restart your Roku streaming device automatically.
How to Clear Cache on a Specific App on Roku
You can use the following steps to clear the cache on a specific app:
Step -1 Select the App you Want to Clear the Cache From
As a first step, you need to select the app from your channels grid to clear the cache on it. For that, go to:
1. Get to the Roku home screen by pressing the Home button on your remote.
2. Next, choose the Right button on your remote.
3. Now, your channel grid will open up. From there, select the app tile you want to clear the cache from.
Step – 2 Uninstall the app
1. After selecting the Channel, press the Asterisk (*) button on your remote.
2. From the list of options from the popup, select the Remove Channel option.
3. Once again, select the Remove option from the popup window.
Now, the selected app will be uninstalled.
Step – 3 Restart Roku
After you uninstalled the app, the cache will be still left on your Roku device. So, you need to restart Roku to clear the cache completely.
1. From your Roku home screen, select Settings.
2. Then, select the System option.
3. Now, Choose System restart from the System section.
4. Next, click on the Restart option.
5. Confirm your selection if required.
6. After that, your Roku will turn off by itself and turn on automatically.
7. Finally, the cache stored on your Roku device will be cleared.
Then, you can again access the Roku Channel Store from Roku home > Streaming Channels > Search Channels to add the app on Roku again.
Can you Clear the Cache on Roku by Factory Resetting It?
If you are willing to sacrifice all the data stored on your Roku device, there is a way for you to clear the cache on your Roku device. That is by factory resetting your Roku.
1. From the home screen, select Settings from the left pane.
2. From Settings, choose the System option.
3. Next, select Advanced System Settings.
4. Now, choose the Factory Reset option.
5. Enter the passcode displayed on the screen and select the OK button.
6. Select Start factory reset from the popup window.
Finally, follow the on-screen prompts and complete the factory reset process. Now, all the cache stored on your Roku device will be cleared.
Recently, some smart TV brands like Hisense, TCL, and Sharp TVs have come up with built-in Roku OS. If you have Hisense Roku TV, TCL Roku TV, or Sharp Smart TV, you can use the same steps mentioned above to clear cache files. Caches are just junk files that can be deleted to free up memory. This method works for all types of Roku devices like Roku Stick, Soundbar, and more.
In case your Roku device or TV is slow even after clearing the cache, delete channels on Roku that you aren’t using lately. This will clear the storage space on Roku. Maybe low storage on your Roku is the reason why your device is slowing down. If the issue is not yet solved, comment below, and our team of experts will give you the solution in 12 hours.