BritBox on Roku is a popular subscription-based streaming service that offers cable TV channel streaming. It is the one-stop for people who’d like to enjoy popular British cable TV channels like iTV, BBC, Channel 4, and Channel 5. But recently, many Roku users have had issues streaming the BritBox app, as they shared in the Roku Community. Some of the issues the users have shared on the Roku community are the BritBox app not working, not loading, freezing, buffering issues, etc. These issues can be fixed by basic troubleshooting methods explained in this article.
Reasons for BritBox Not Working on Roku
We cannot pinpoint the exact reason why BritBox is not working on your Roku device. But there are chances that the following factors might be one.
- Unstable/Poor internet connection
- A glitch in the BritBox app.
- Outdated app version
- Outdated Roku OS.
- Accumulation of cache files
How to Fix BritBox Not Working Issue on Roku
Here are the troubleshooting methods to fix BritBox not working issue on Roku. Follow the methods in the same order as provided.
- Check for Compatibility
- Check the Server Status
- Check Internet Connection
- Power cycle Wi-Fi router
- Clear Roku Cache
- Restart Roku Device
- Re-login the BritBox account
- Update the BritBox app
- Update the Roku Firmware
- Uninstall and Reinstall BritBox
- Factory Reset Roku Device
- Contact BritBox Customer support
Check for Compatibility
The first thing to check is whether the BritBox app is compatible with your Roku device. If compatibility is the problem, then you might experience many problems with the app on your Roku device. BritBox won’t work on legacy models 3600 and 4400X or any older Roku devices.
Apart from the models mentioned above, BritBox would work on most of the Roku devices. If you have a compatible Roku device and are still facing issues with BritBox, do the following troubleshooting methods.
Check the Server Status
The next possibility for BritBox not working could be the server issue. If the BritBox server is down, then you can experience the not working error on your Roku device. In case the server is down, then you need to wait until the server issue is cleared. To learn more about server updates, you can visit the social media page of BritBox or use a third-party website like Downdetector. These pages can give you current info on BritBox’s server status. If the server status is normal, move to the next troubleshooting.
Check Internet connection
The very next thing you need to do is to check your internet connection. If the internet speed is poor, then BritBox won’t work for sure. To ensure there are no connectivity issues,
1. Go to the Home screen of your Roku device.
2. Tap on the Settings option and click on Network.
3. Now, choose the Check connection option.
If there are any connectivity issues on your Roku device, you can try disconnecting and reconnecting your Roku device to the Wi-Fi again to fix the BritBox not working error. Or else you can also try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network. If this doesn’t work out, try the next method.
Power Cycle Wi-Fi Router
In some cases, Wi-Fi might not provide sufficient bandwidth to your Roku device. As a result, you won’t be able to operate any apps on your Roku device. A simple power cycle could fix the issue. To do this,
1. Pull out the Power Cable of your Wi-Fi router from the power cycle.
2. Let the router be idle for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Now, plug in the cable to the router & power socket.
4. Wait for another 1 minute before connecting the internet to Roku.
5. Now connect your Roku to Wi-Fi and check if this method has solved the BritBox not working error. If not, you can jump to the next technique.
Clear Roku Cache
Cache files are temporary data stored on your device that helps in quick functioning. Sometimes, these cache files get accumulated, causing the device to slow down. This might be one of the reasons for your BritBox not working on your Roku device. So to fix the error, you can clear the cache files on Roku. In order to clear the cache files stored on your Roku,
1. Press the Home button on your Roku TV five times.
2. Then, tap on the Up button once.
3. Press the Rewind button twice.
4. Lastly, press the Fast Forward button on your Roku remote twice.
By pressing the above-mentioned remote combinations, you can clear cache files on your Roku. If the BritBox app is not working again, then go for the next method.
Restart your Roku Device
A simple temporary glitch might act as a deterrent to the function of the app. In this case, restarting your Roku device will help you fix the problem. To do so,
1. Tap on the Home button on the Roku remote.
2. Now, choose the Settings option on the screen.
3. Next, scroll down and click on the System option on the left.
4. Finally, click on System restart → Restart options on the screen.
After restarting your device, open the BritBox app and check whether the fix has solved the error. If not, go for the next fix.
Re-login the BritBox Account
A simple log out and login can magically solve this issue at times. To do this,
1. Open the BritBox app on your Roku device.
2. Now click on your account provided at the top-right corner. Choose the logout or Sign out option from the drop-down.
3. Now, close the app after logging out.
4. Again, open the app, and enter your login credentials to sign in to the BritBox app.
5. After signing in, open the app and check whether the fix has worked. Do the next method if the problem still exists.
Update the BritBox App
Compatibility issues will occur if you keep using the outdated version of the BritBox app on Roku. Updating the app to its latest version could fix this issue. To update the app on Roku,
1. Press the Home button to visit the Roku home screen.
2. Now, choose the Channels option on the home screen.
3. From the lists of installed channels, navigate to the BritBox channel.
4. After it gets highlighted, press the asterisk (*) button on your Roku remote.
5. Select the Check for updates option from the pop-up menu.
6. Now, your BritBox app will update to its latest available version.
7. Open BritBox and check if it’s working. If not, proceed to the next method.
Update the Roku Firmware
Like the BritBox app, you need to keep on updating your Roku device to the latest version. If your auto-update feature is not working, then try updating your Roku device manually.
1. Head to the Home screen and select the Settings option.
2. Select the Systems option on the screen.
3. After that, choose the System Update option provided on the left.
4. Now, click on the Check now option to check for the latest Roku update.
5. Now, Roku will get updated to the available new firmware.
6. After updating, open BritBox and see if the issue has been sorted out. If not, try the next method.
Uninstall and Reinstall BritBox
If your BritBox app is corrupted on a Roku device, then uninstalling & reinstalling the app is the viable solution to fix the app not working issue.
1. On your Roku home screen, select Channels and highlight BritBox.
2. Press the asterisk (*) button on the Roku remote and open the sub-menu of the app.
3. Now, select the Remove channel option from the pop-up menu of BritBox.
4. After uninstalling, go to the Home screen and click the Streaming channels option.
5. Choose the Search channels option and type BritBox and search for the app.
6. Now, select the app from the results and click on Add channel option on the right.
After installing, launch and check whether BritBox is working or not. If it still misbehaves, head to the last possible troubleshooting method.
Factory Reset Roku Device
This has to be the last method before contacting the customer support of BritBox. Factory reset is a drastic method where we remove all the saved data from your device and start from scratch. Many Roku users have found it beneficial in solving not working issues. So, go ahead without any hesitation.
1. To do a factory reset, turn on your Roku and press the Home button on your remote.
2. Scroll down and select the Settings menu.
3. From Settings, choose the System option.
4. Scroll down and select Advanced system settings.
5. Choose the Factory reset option.
6. Enter the Pin displayed on your screen and then click OK to start the reset process.
7. Finally, click the Start factory reset button from the pop-up window and complete the resetting process.
8. After this, your Roku will shut down automatically and restart afresh. Install the BritBox app, log in to your account, and see if it works. But, if the problem still persists, you are left with a final option that doesn’t involve your efforts.
Contact BritBox Customer Support
If you have tried all the above-mentioned options and still face issues, you can contact BritBox’s customer support through their website and submit a bug report. Contacting the experts will help solve the issue much easier. Email them about the problem you face and try to explain all the problems clearly so that they can take over the issue easily.